“What was Lunapads and is Aisle, has always been an activist brand. It is never been otherwise. We have never been part of the status quo. We have never tried to something mainstream. The current climate of change and the current issues and challenges being presented to us and opportunities, are things that we’re really excited about and pretty comfortable with.” – Madeleine Shaw, Co-Founder of Aisle
Overview of podcast
How does menstrual health relate to the environment, social justice issues, and systems in a business? People with periods deserve safe, effective & sustainable options designed for their comfort. Products that work well, feel great, and do good while they’re at it. Everything is intertwined and Vicki Saunders breaks this down with founders Suzanne Siemens & Madeleine Shaw of Aisle.
Aisle believes the period aisle should be stocked with safe, effective products that work great, feel great and do good for our environment. Since 1993 originally called Luna Pads, it was the first to create space for menstrual equity and period poverty. The company rebranded in March 2020 for a fresh expression of what they stand for; to be the best place in the world for someone to have their period; the period aisle.
In this episode
Aisle has always been an activist brand that wants to learn and break down barriers and be leaders in this space, so Vicki chats about this topic in today’s episode, including:
- How a company grows through a foundation of trust, clarity, and respect.
- The need for mentorship for collaborative and inclusive relationships for women entrepreneurs.
- Compatriots or colleagues vs competitors.
- Being in line with your values to support the community during COVID.
- Being in community as a B-Corporation to redesign the system; it’s not only about the bottom line.
- Commitment to values such as social justice even if it costs the business.
- Being responsive to underrepresented and underestimated people and empowering them.
- How reusable menstrual products can save customers money and divert 20-million+ pads and tampons per year from the environment.
We invite you to become a SheEO Activator or apply to be a Venture at SheEO.World.
Take action & engage with Aisle:
Check out SheEO Venture the Aisle’s website: periodaisle.ca
Engage with Aisle on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
Don’t miss an episode! Subscribe to the SheEO.World Podcast.