With 100+ Ventures in 5 countries, we are rounding up the news every 2 weeks to share what’s happening. Engage, share + follow using the hashtag #RadicalGenerosity to amplify.
Jump to the country Venture news you want to read:
- Super Fierce founder Trenna Probert spoke to Sky News Australia about how the average woman in Australia is retiring with up to 47 per cent less superannuation than the average man.
- Neighbourlytics has raised $1.3 million in a pre-Series A. The round was led by Californian VC ALIAVIA Ventures, supported by LaunchVic’s angel sidecar fund, the Alice Anderson Fund.
- A report from The Observer features She’s A Crowd’s attempts to address incomplete data on sexual assaults by asking survivors to anonymously self-report data.
- Harley Salter, a 28-year-old man from the UK, completed a 5K race around Dorney Lake on his Alinker walking bike, at a disability sports event.
- Ocean Legacy Foundation has developed Legacy Plastic pellets out of recycled fishing ropes, buoys, floats, and oyster trays, among other items. The product can be used for anything regular plastic is used for, and is now on the commercial market. The breakthrough was also featured in a video from Global News.
- National Indigenous Times published a summary of Vancouver Indigenous Fashion Week, which returned at the end of November 2022 after a two-year pandemic hiatus and featured designers such as Ay Lelum.
- Sḵwálwen Botanicals and Satya Organic were featured in a list of 10 Indigenous-owned beauty brands you should know more about, alongside Activators Cheekbone Beauty and Yukon Soaps.
- Magnusmode announced a new collaboration with Huntington National Bank to make everyday experiences easier to navigate for neurodiverse people.
- Ecko Aleck of Sacred Matriarch Creative performed at the Sum̓sháthut (Sun) Festival in Nanaimo Dec. 17, which also featured a trading post marketplace with vendors such as Ay Lelum.
- Ay Lelum and Sisters Sage were featured in a list of 5 Indigenous Brands to Watch in 2023 from Marketing News Canada, alongside Activator Cheekbone Beauty.
- Plant-based seafood from Save Da Sea was featured in PETA’s list of vegan products to try in 2023.
- Kate Pepler of The Tare Shop joined BNN Bloomberg to discuss how going package-free grocery shopping can save consumers money amid rising prices and a looming recession.
- Kendall Flutey of Banqer appeared on TodaysFM’s First Light back on December 12th, 2022
- Florence Van Dyke, head of sustainability at New Zealand Trade and Enterprise and co-founder of Chia Sisters, wrote a piece on the need for honesty and transparency amidst increasing levels of greenwashing in businesses.
- Swimsuits from Nisa were featured in a list of swimsuits available from local New Zealand brands and stores.
- Yahoo featured a round-up of period underwear and included products from AWWA. In the past 12 months, sales of AWWA’s products have saved 6.7 million single-use period products going to landfill, and 5% of all profits go towards ending period poverty in New Zealand.
- Sarah Balle of Supie recently spoke to The Spinoff about what it’s like fighting NZ’s supermarket duopoly. “Less than a year old, Balle’s small team is delivering to customers across Auckland, who order online and keep coming back for more.”
- A new pilot scheme from City to Sea will allow people to borrow a reusable takeaway cup from a cafe and then return it so it can be used again, with the trial accompanied by an app.
- City to Sea called on ministers to take further action against biodegradable plastics, warning that these ‘won’t break down in the natural environment and so will do nothing to tackle the plight of plastic pollution’.
- BelleVie is looking to scale up following £2.1m of funding secured from a range of investors. The start-up, which has bases in Northumberland and Oxford, says it will expand its operations further into Tyne and Wear.
- Pandia Health was featured in a list of 10 best birth control websites recommended by ob-gyns.
- Terri-Nichelle Bradley of Brown Toy Box shared her journey of success from start-up to one of Oprah’s Favorite Things at this year’s Gwinnett Small Business Awards.
- LOLIWARE was featured in a recap and update following their Season 7 appearance on Shark Tank back in 2015.
- Callisto is raising money for its Vault’s Matching System, which allows a survivor to enter the unique identifiers of the perpetrator. Their goal is to provide access to Callisto Vault to all college students nationwide for the 2023-2024 academic year.
- Terri-Nichelle Bradley of Brown Toy Box spoke to Atlanta Daily World about the challenges of the funding process with VCs and non-traditional funders.